|Swiss Jazz Award|||||Nominees 2013|||||Winners|||||History and Sponsors|||||Terms of nomination|
The Swiss Jazz Award is awarded annually to whichever Swiss jazz group has proved most popular with the jazz, soul and blues fans who listen regularly to Radio Swiss Jazz during the last 12 months and which consequently wins the most votes in the Internet ballot held at www.swissjazzaward.ch.
In 2011, a live voting was added which allows visitors at the JazzAscona Festival to influence the outcome by attending a contest among the nominated bands, this year on the 22nd of June 2013.
In 2013 for the first time there will be a professional jury at the live contest.
Radio Swiss Jazz is a special jazz station provided by SRG SSR. Its programmes are aired from Basel and can be received throughout Switzerland via digital radio, mobile phone, cable, Swisscom TV, satellite or Internet.
With around a quarter of a million listeners in Switzerland and abroad, Radio Swiss Jazz counts among the world’s most successful jazz stations. Classical mainstream jazz accounts for around 80% of its music-only programme, while blues and soul make up the remaining 20%.
Radio Swiss Jazz attaches great importance to promoting the Swiss music scene, which is why one in three of the titles it plays is by a Swiss musician or ensemble.
For more details:
JazzAscona is Switzerland’s largest traditional jazz festival and is held every summer in the picturesque town of Ascona. It was launched in 1985 and after attracting some 15,000 visitors was extended to a ten-day event just one year later. The programme these days features some 200 concerts with more than 400 hours of live music every summer.
Among the many big names from the world of swing, New Orleans jazz and blues to have made their mark on Ascona are Kid Thomas Valentine, Louis Nelson, Doc Cheatham, Sammy Price, Danny Barker, Sam Butera, Kenny Davern, Bob Wilber, Freddy Cole, Monty Alexander, Houston Person, Jesse Davis, Lewis Nash, Peter Washington, Bucky Pizzarelli, Howard Alden, Bob Wilber, Marva Wright, Henry Butler, Shannon Powell, Dr. Michael White, Herlin Riley, Harry Allen, Warren Vaché, Scott Hamilton, Trombone Shorty, Jon Faddis, Biréli Lagrène, Irma Thomas and countless others.
For more details: